Electronic and electrical tapes may look similar to every other form of tape, but what makes them stand out from the others are their significant and distinct benefits. Typically made from fibreglass cloth, vinyl, or plastic, the elastic pressure-sensitive adhesive tape is preferred in various projects and jobs that require the insulation of conductive materials, specifically electrical wires. The tape is able to prevent electrical current from unintentionally flowing to another wire, resulting in a short circuit or worse, an electrically induced fire. In addition, it also protects individuals from possible electrocution.
While the tape, in general, does have a similar use, the extensive range of electronic and electrical tapes available in the market varies according to the performance and operational requirements.
Types of electronic and electrical tapes
Some of the general types of electronic and electrical tapes employed in various industrial applications are:
- Black Kapton Tape: The tape is able to withstand high current and high temperature, making it the must-have in almost every industry for electrical isolation and insulation. Besides that, it also displays high durability, and adhesive strength yet does not leave behind any residue when peeled off. It also exhibits strong UV resistance, which is ideal for outdoor use.
- Thermal Insulating Tape: This is a type of electrical isolation tape that is used to protect equipment such as cables, wires, and hoses from high heat sources such as furnaces and engines. The tape becomes stickier when heat is applied, giving it greater adhesive flexibility. Cooling the tape makes it less sticky, which is useful for repositioning or removal.
- Acetate Cloth Tape: These tapes not only is visually pleasing, but it also exhibits high insulation and adhesive properties as well as superb conformability in coil-wrapping applications. It also is able to absorb varnishes and resins.
- Electrical Insulation Tape: The tape provides reliability and versatility necessary for critical application through the limiting of overvoltage and isolating any hazardous circuits when needed.
- Paper Masking Tape: It is used when a temporary bond is needed, especially during the construction process of electrical components. Paper masking tapes are also applied during die-cutting sequences.
There are several other types of electronic and electrical tapes, such as heat sealing tape, electrically conductive adhesive tape, paper electronic tape, silicone solid rubber tape, and composite bonding tape.
Industrial applications of electronic and electrical tapes
Each electronic and electrical tape serves many purposes in manufacturing and industrial applications, such as:
- Heat Management: Electronic and electrical tapes can help to manage heat within an acceptable temperature range within the equipment.
- Electrical: Electronic and electrical tapes serve several uses within the electrical sector, such as acting as a protective jacket for wire harnesses and high-voltage cables, as well as wrapping, sealing, and insulating electrical cables. In addition, it is also used to mask circuit board components.
- Composite Bonding: By providing high adhesive strength and reliability, the tapes enable engineers to meet the certain required performance. In addition, electronic and electrical tapes allow the bonding of different materials such as rubber, glass, fibre-reinforced composites, and metals.
- Construction: Electronic and electrical tapes provide better design flexibility, faster operations, and higher strength bonds as compared to fasters such as rivets and screws.
- Maintenance: The tapes are applied in several maintenance applications such as paintings, repairs, and marking of safety areas.
- Automotive: Electronic and electrical tapes are applied in the mounting of attachment parts, cable mounting, permanent paint protection, wire harnessing, mirror assembly, and surface protection.
By being aware of the different types of electronic and electrical tapes available in the market and their varied applications, you are then able to discern better the type of tape you need for your specific business or industry. Nevertheless, if you are looking for quality electronic and electrical tapes, we are able to help you with that.
At Heleflo Products, we specialise in providing quality adhesive tapes for all sorts of industries and businesses. From electrical to automotive, we pride ourselves on providing adhesive solutions for every need. In addition, we also offer other tapes such as PTFE Teflon tape and environmentally friendly biodegradable packaging tapes.
Do visit https://heleflo.com.sg/our-products/ to find out more about our range of tapes and how we can help you.